June 1915

Tuesday 1st June, 1915

Quiet all night not a single patient brought in, off duty at 7.30 a.m. About 400 more
reinforcements landed this morning. Our destroyers bombarded enemy's trenches
at intervals all day, very feeble reply from Turks. It is getting very hot here now in
the daytime, the nights being lovely and mild. Had swim this afternoon. Trousers
are all worn out at knees, so have had to cut them off and make them into shorts
and wear puttees with bare knees. Fairly heavy rifle fire going on tonight. On duty
7.30 p.m. Couple of patients brought in before 12 midnight, both wounded by hand
grenades, one died, both New Zealanders. Heard an explosion about 11 p.m. don't
know what it is.

Wednesday 2nd June, 1915

Nine patients brought in before 7.30 a.m. Another one died, nearly all grenade
wounds. The explosion I heard last night was one of the Turks trenches being being
blown up by our troops who had sapped under them, inflicted heavy losses on
enemy. Off duty 7.30 a.m. Had visit from R. Pulford of the 5th Battery Artillery who
used to work with me at Newport, also received visit from W. Hill, stayed to dinner
with us and had long yarn, went for swim together this afternoon. Can't hear any
firing today, hardly know we were at war. On duty 7.30 p.m., heavy rifle fire tonight.
Blew up one of Turks trenches. No wounded brought in up to 12 midnight.

Thursday 3rd June, 1915

King's birthday. Intermittent rifle fire all night, but evident that not many of our
fellows are being hit. Only one brought from trenches up to 7.30 a.m. when I came
off duty, he died. About 7 a.m. I was sitting at our dressing station, when Sergeant
of Indian A.M.C. came along, walking past us about 5 yards away, he went down
with bullet in abdomen. He was one of two whites in the corps and it was splendid to
see the devotion of the Indians. Practically whole corps came to see him. Fairly
quiet up to 4 p.m. when H.M.S. Talbot opened guns on left. Must have fired at least
100 shells. On duty 7.30 p.m. About dozen casualties owing to premature burst of
one of our shells about 10 p.m., 3 deaths most others severly injured. Quiet
afterwards up to 12 midnight. Had swim this afternoon.

Friday 4th June, 1915

About 1 a.m. heard several big explosions, believe it was parts of enemy's trenches
being blown up. Smart rifle fire for about an hour. No patients brought in between
midnight and 7.30 a.m. when I came off duty. Enemy put few shells over us this
morning, seriously wounding two A.M.C men in hospital next to our dressing station.
Another of our bearers badly wounded today. Our corps must have had from 50 to
60 men killed and wounded to date, mostly wounded, pretty short handed, no
reinforcements having arrived for us. Our ships heavily bombarded a hill to the
south of us which is stongly fortified, known as Achi-Baba. On duty 7.30 p.m. Rifle
fire going on pretty heavily. About a dozen wounded treated by us to midnight.

Saturday 5th June, 1915

Our troops charged the enemy's trenches about 1 a.m. succeeded in putting some
machine guns out of action. Captured about 30 Turks, 7 of which were brought to
us wounded. Immediately after charge our own injured started to come in and kept
us very busy till 7.30 a.m. when I came off duty, fixed up our wounded at our
dressing station. Heard 120 more Turks and a German officer have also been
captured. Fighting was going on all morning with heavy rifle fire, our destroyers also
put in a few shells, eased off considerably this afternoon and was fairly quiet. On
duty 7.30 p.m. Nothing doing up to 12 midnight. Had swim this afternoon. Not so
many bathing today, weather fine, water rather cold.

Sunday 6th June, 1915

About eight wounded brought in after midnight. Few troops wounded on first day
here came back today. Turks put about half dozen shells over early this morning.
Off duty 7.30 a.m. Brisk rifle fire going on all morning. Received news that British
submarine had been in the sea of Marmora and sunk large German Transport.
Went for swim this afternoon, beach looked like a big sea-side resort, hundreds of
troops in bathing, weather and water beautiful. Went on duty 7.30 p.m. Half dozen
patients up till midnight. Heard news Italians progressing against Austrians. Got a
clean shirt today, first since left Egypt, wanted it badly. Various rumours about our

Monday 7th June, 1915

Three patients after midnight and up to 7.30 a.m. when I came off duty. About 500
New Zealand reinforcements landed at 2 a.m. and went up to Shrapnel Gully. Had
an issue of cigarettes today, four packets per man. Turks put half dozen shrapnel
shells over us this morning also a couple of their big shells, which we call Jack
Johnsons, did no damage. Had visit this afternoon from W. Hill and went for swim
together. Received news of rapid advance of Allies in France, also Zepellin raid on
London and sinking of German Transport in Dardenelles by submarine E11. On
duty 7.30 p.m. Expecting plenty of work tonight, had news our boys are making
charge on hill known as Quin's Post.

Tuesday 8th June, 1915

Our troops made charge on Quin's Post about 1 a.m. their obect was to blow up a
trench from which the Turks have been troubling us. Succeeded in blowing half of it
up. Our casualties were not so many as expected, so we were not busy at all, as
dressing station next to us was able to cope with them without our assistance.
Desultory rifle fire all night. More reinforcements arrived early this morning. Off duty
7.30 a.m. Occasional shells put in during day by our destroyers. A British monitor
arrived today, should help us considerably. Had swim this afternoon. On duty 7.30
p.m. About four wounded up to midnight, very slack rifle fire going on. Been very
hot day, hard to sleep in day time.

Wednesday 9th June, 1915

Had about three more patients after midnight, got them away to hospital ship about
2 a.m. Nothing further up to 7.30 a.m. when finished duty. Met another friend from
Melbourne this morning, J. Roberts, he has been here a week today. Have not had
any letters delivered yet although the mail has been in for two or three days. It is
getting very hot in the day time now and sleep is a difficult matter, especially with the
swarms of flies which are a great pest. Our guns shelled the enemy this afternoon,
also the monitor which arrived yesterday put in a few shells. Turks have not fired a
shell today. On duty 7.30 p.m. Nothing at all doing all night.

Thursday 10th June, 1915

Off duty at 7.30 a.m. after an easy night. Turks put about 20 shells over at about
6.30 a.m. These are the first they have put over for two days and they all fell in the
sea without doing an atom of damage. Spent part of this morning in writing my
letters home. The monitor and our batteries have been shelling the enemy again
today. Went for a swim this afternoon, water rather cold although weather hot.
Turks put few more shells over this evening, did no damage. On duty 7.30 p.m.
nothing doing up to midnight. A decided improvement in tucker today. Rissoles
made from fresh meat for breakfast, stew made from fresh meat and dried
vegetables for dinner and stewed figs and dates with boiled rice for tea. Also bread
in place of the everlasting biscuits.

Friday 11th June, 1915

Five wounded men brought in between midnight and 7.30 a.m. when I came off
duty, one shot through brain died. Heavy rifle fire was going on from 1 a.m. till 3
a.m. when it died down and became fairly quiet. Turks dropped about 20 shells very
close to our dressing station this morning, did no damage. About 2 p.m. enemy
shelled our gully, one shell burst within 10 feet of our dug out, bullets from it went
through water-bottle and overcoat of one of our fellows, he was using them for pillow
at the time, he himself escaped unhurt. Turks shelled beach again this evening for
half and hour, our destroyers silenced them. Enemy's shells do not seem to be so
effective lately. On duty 7.30 p.m.

Saturday 12th June, 1915

Nothing at all doing in the way of wounded all night. About 200 wounded troops who
have recovered came back and landed about 4 a.m. About 5 a.m. sighted half
dozen warships going towards Cape Helles looked as if coming from Lemnos. Off
duty 7.30 a.m. Turks bombarded us with shells at intervals during the whole day.
Could not get any sleep at all today, as the heat is intense and flies are a great
source of trouble. Dysentry is fairly prevalent among our troops owing I think to the
contamination of our food by the flies. Received letter from mother today, rather
disappointed at not receiving more, but they have not all been sent ashore yet. On
duty 7.30 p.m. Had swim this afternoon.

Sunday 13th June, 1915

About 10 wounded during the night, none serious. About 4 a.m. a large battle
cruiser and a light cruiser of the town class appeared from round the island of
"Embros" escorted by a number of destroyers. The light cruiser steamed to our left
flank, or what is known as "Anzac Cove" and the battle cruiser took our right flank
and for a couple of hours they poured shells into enemy, afterwards steaming
towards Cape Helles. This afternoon our aeroplane flew over enemy's trenches and
I distinctly saw three bombs dropped, which went off with loud explosion. Enemy
tried to bring aeroplane down, three shots going very close, but he got away safely.
On duty 7.30 p.m. Up to midnight four wounded men were brought in to be fixed up.

Monday 14th June, 1915

Very quiet from midnight till 4 a.m. when Turks opened fire from a gun on our left
flank. I was dozing in dressing station when shell burst about 10 yards in front of us
and covered me with gravel and dirt. In about an hour they put about 50 shells
(percussion) all round us, all dropping within a 50 yards radius, ploughed earth up 5
yards in front of us. Blew up station adjoining us killing one man and wounding 10.
9 a.m. went into trenches on right flank with W. Hill, afterwards went in trenches,
with another friend, on our right centre, through periscope saw Turks sapping and
strengthening their position. A great sight and well worth going into the trenches to
see. On duty at 7.30 p.m. Busy with minor cases until about 9.30 p.m., very quiet
afterwards. Hot day.

Tuesday 15th June, 1915

A very quiet night, only about 4 wounded brought in. Off duty 7.30 a.m. Learnt that
allies have at present about 170,000 troops on peninsular and about 27,000 here
with us at Gaba Tepe and Anzac Cove and somewhere about 150,000 south of us,
coming up from Cape Helles and at present situated about Achi-Bara and south of
that place. British troops south of us charged the enemy and took two of their
trenches. Our monitor shelled the enemy today on our left flank, from Anzac Cove
very little reply from enemy. Sea fairly rough today, but managed to get a swim.
Went on duty 7.30 a.m. a few minutes afterwards enemy put 4 shells about 10 yards
past our dressing station, wounded 4 men, fortunately slight.

Wednesday 16th June, 1915

Very quiet night, no patients at all, sea quietened down consderably. A large
transport arrived early this morning and landed nearly 800 reinforcements. Could
hear our ships all morning heavily bombarding enemy between here and Cape
Helles. Heard that French troops south of our position had done some good work
and made an advance. Turks shelled the beach heavily this afternoon, killing
several of our troops also wounding a good number. Enemy also shelled the
trenches on our extreme right, blowing them about considerably, put one of our 18
pounders out of action and inflicting a number of casualties. Our boys held them off.
On duty 7.30 p.m.

Thursday 17th June, 1915

Five wounded brought in during whole night. Our ships were bombarding enemy
nearly whole of night, rifle fire of British troops coming up from south could be plainly
heard at intervals during night. About 500 reinforcements landed here at 5 a.m. Off
duty 7.30 a.m. Five years to day since I sailed from Liverpool England for Australia.
Turks shelled beach again this afternoon, we sustained about eight casualties, one
being killed outright. Our monitor and destroyers replied to enemy's guns, don't
know what damage our shells did. Had long yarn this afternoon with J. Roberts. On
duty at dressing station at
7.30 p.m.

Friday 18th June, 1915

Centenary of Waterloo. Quiet night again, practically nothing at all doing. Went off
duty at 7.30 a.m. Not feeling too well today have got sore throat and feel generally
out of sorts. Begged some rice from cooks and cooked it for dinner, was a great
success. Could not sleep at all during day, too much out of sorts. Wrote some
letters. Weather very hot and flies continue to be a great nuisance. The greater
proportion of men being sent to base hospitals are sick and not suffering from
wounds. On duty 7.30 p.m. About 9 p.m. enemy put half dozen shells on beach
wounding slightly three engineers.

Saturday 19th June, 1915

No patients after midnight. Tried to snatch a sleep but no good, feel too much out of
sorts. Could hear our ships shelling enemy during night to the south of us. Few
more reinforcements arrived again this morning. Off duty at 7.30 a.m. Our
aeroplane dropped bombs on enemy's trenches. A large party of Turks were seen
moving across some flat country on our left flank, a destroyer immediately poured in
a shell and did great execution. The enemy put half dozen shells on beach this
evening, killing three of our troops. The shells came from over our right flank and
from behind Gaba-Tepe. Went on duty 7.30 p.m.


Sunday 20th June, 1915

No wounded all night, our ships heavily pounded enemy with shell all night to south
of us. Enemy put couple of shells over early this morning, dropped close to our
dressing station. The enemy have a gun or a battery, well inland, on our right flank
concealed in an olive grove, this is the point from which they daily at intervals shell
the beach and from which they have done a dood deal of execution. For some
reason our batteries are unable to locate or to silence them. Very little firing during
day. Fatigue parties started digging the hill away round our dug out, Headquarters
are coming to reside near us, we might have to look for a new home. On duty 7.30
p.m. Our fleet and guns to south heavily bombarded enemy this evening.

Monday 21st June, 1915

Ships and guns to south heavily bombarded enemy all night. We had about dozen
wounded to fix up during night. Early this morning French troops to the south of us
drove enemy back a considerable distance, repulsing all counter attacks, latest news
we received French troops were still advancing. Our heavy guns continued shelling
Achi-Baba all morning. Just after noon our monitor and two destroyers opened their
guns on the point of Gaba-Tepi, shelled trenches close on beach and gradually
worked their fire inland, raking trench after trench with explosives and shrapnel. No
reply from enemy. On duty 7.30 p.m. Had splendid swim this afternoon, lovely day.

Tuesday 22nd June, 1915

Extremely quiet night, very little rifle fire, could not hear any big guns going at all. No
wounded brought in at all. Off duty 7.30 a.m. About 8 a.m. Turks opened fire on us
with a gun on our left flank, shells passed over us and dropped about 200 yards
away on beach and edge of water. Were shelling us for fully an hour, firing fairly
rapidly, shells screech as they pass over. Received orders at 10 a.m. to move our
kits and make a new dug out. Found position for our new home two of us together
and started digging. Made very comfortable dug out. While digging enemy were
shelling us, several shells came very close, one struck about 15 yards from us, but
failed to explode, the earth ploughed up by it covered us. Shelling all day. On duty
7.30 p.m. Very hot day.

Wednesday 23rd June, 1915

Had eight wounded to fix up during night. Very little firing going on. Off duty 7.30
a.m. Did a little more to our new home this morning. Late last night my pal who is
with me in the dug out took sick and was sent to hospital ship. Turks shelling the
beach again this morning. Turned in about 11 a.m. and slept till 5 p.m. Enjoyed my
sleep as was thoroughly tired out. Received news that French troops had captured
an important redoubt this morning down south. A young fellow from the clearing
hospital next door to us had his left arm blown off by a shell while on the beach
going for a swim. On duty 7.30 p.m., very busy till 9 p.m., lot of chaps getting sick.
Enjoyed a lovely swim about 10 p.m.

Thursday 24th June, 1915

Had nothing at all to do during night, very hot all night, went for swim at 6 a.m. Off
duty at 7.30 a.m. After breakfast spent morning writing letters. Very hot day,
weather getting extremely hot. After dinner went down for swim which I thoroughly
enjoyed. Came out of water about 3.30 p.m. and while I was on beach enemy
started shelling it, made for cover at once, but one shell burst before all could get
clear and caught eighteen, two were killed outright and 16 wounded, some very
severely and some only slightly. Shells fell on beach for about half an hour then
stopped, no further damage done. On duty 7.30 p.m. Very little doing, mostly sick

Friday 25th June, 1915

Quiet night, two wounded brought in. A battery of R.F.A landed during night with
four 5" Howitzers. They are from Glasgow. Also 300 reinforcements landed early
this morning. Went for swim 6 a.m. Off duty 7.30 a.m. Put in a couple of hours this
morning fixing my dug out. Turks shelled us on beach again for about an hour.
Slept from 10 a.m. till 2 p.m. Went for swim at 3 p.m. H.M.S. "Lord Nelson" came
up coast about 3 p.m. and heavily shelled "Maidos" a town on other side of
peninsular from us, it is situated on the Narrows and is being used as concentration
camp. On duty at 7.30 p.,m. Sent a lot of sick away this evening.

Saturday 26th June, 1915

Nothing doing all night so got few hours sleep. Awakened at 5 a.m. by one of our
destroyers shelling the enemy on our left flank over "Anzac Cove". Went for swim
6.30 a.m., water lovely. Off duty 7.30 a.m.
Received couple of letters and a paper from Australia this morning then had a sleep
till dinner time. Made some porridge for breakfast with meal biscuits crushed up and
sugar on it, not bad at all. About 3.30 p.m. boiled some potatoes, mashed them with
dripping, ready for tea, left it to keep warm and went for another swim. My potatoes
along with some bacon from the cooks made good tea. Turks shelled us heavily
from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Shrapnel falling all round us, a shrapnel bullet has just come
through roof of my dug out. On duty 7.30 p.m.

Sunday 27th June, 1915

Very quiet all night till 5 a.m. this morning, when Turks made an attack on our left
flank. Shrapnel fell all over us and the rifle fire was very heavy for about an hour
when enemy was beaten off. About 6 a.m. a couple of dozen wounded were
brought in and we were kept busy for a little while. Off duty 7.30 a.m. Our
destroyers keep putting a few shells into the the Turks all morning. The destroyers
are wonderful, just like little watchdogs noting every move of the enemy's and
blocking it. Turks shelled beach again this afternoon, one shell killed two men, blew
them to pieces and very seriously wounded several others. Had swim this afternoon
and went on duty at dressing station at 7.30 p.m.

Monday 28th June, 1915

Hardly a shot fired all night so we had no wounded brought in. Went for swim
6.30 a.m. Off duty 7.30 a.m. About 9 a.m. about 40 to 50 ships, transports,
battleships, destroyers, sweepers etc came in sight apparently from Lemnos. They
made to the south of us between Gaba-Tepi and Cape Helles. The warships among
them at once opened a terrific fire on the enemy, bombarding them pitilessly. Our
monitor and destroyers joined in, also field batteries, kept bombardment up all day.
The heavy shells look as though they are blowing the hills to pieces. Our troops
charged and captured some trenches on right flank. On duty 7.30 p.m.. Very busy,
lots of wounded.

Tuesday 29th June, 1915

About 11 p.m. last night had to go out to Hospital ship S.S. Sicilia with patient who
had bullet wound in shoulder with the subclavian artery severed. Had a real good
dinner on board and a look round the wards. A lovely ship with splendid fittings,
everything on board seemed absolutely perfect. Got back ashore at 3 a.m. Things
had quietened off considerably by this time. A destroyer put half dozen shells in
wheat field which was affording cover to enemy and set it on fire buring it right out.
Our ships still heavily bombarding enemy to south of us. I hear 30,000 troops
landed yesterday between us at Gaba-Tepi and Achi-Baba. On duty 7.30 p.m.
Wind blowing hard tonight.

Wednesday 30th June, 1915

Turks made attack on Walkers Ridge late last night, broke through but were
completely wiped out. Loaded all the wounded in boats to be towed out by pinnace
to hospital ship. Were about half mile out when tow rope parted, succeeded in
getting 2½" wire hawser, but also parted, sea very rough now. Sprang up in 10
minutes. Boats drifted down coast and came ashore about 200 yards inside our
lines on right flank. Had rough job getting wounded out of boats again in such rough
sea, boats were lifted up on the waves and dashed down again continually making it
hard to get patients on stretchers out. Spray flew all over, up to waist in water,
eventually got all out safely, took off their wet clothes, gave blankets, hot drink,
comfortable for night.