September 1915

Wednesday 1st September, 1915

Had to be up at 6 a.m. and on parade at 6.45 a.m. when orders were read out and
we were dismissed to our various duties. On duty at hospital at 7 a.m. about 45
patients to look after but not much trouble. Cleared patients into open this morning
while we thoroughly aired and disinfected tents. After dinner did some writing and
went for swim which had to be short as enemy started putting shells on beach. Put
patients back in tent just before tea. After tea the Canteen stores were divided out,
the officers having handed what they had taken back again. We all took an equal
share, value 9s/10d, pretty good value, easily sold what I did not want at same price
as sold to me, to English Tommies. Off duty 7 p.m. lights out 9 p.m.

Thursday 2nd September 1915

Up at 6 a.m. On parade 6.45 a.m. orders read out, also little news, our submarines
seem to be giving Turks beans in the sea of Marmora and all round their coast line.
Cleared patients out of hospital after breakfast and took down tents to let sun get at
the ground, also told we were not allowed to smoke whilst on duty which means from
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and any other time they like to call us, have not taken any notice of
order today as it has not been read out in orders as it should be. These are acts of
petty spite on account of our stand against officers over canteen stores. Also bread
issue has been stopped since dispute, have to eat biscuits. Put hospital tent up this
afternoon and finished work at 7 p.m.

Friday 3rd September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade at 6.45 a.m. and on duty 7 a.m. About forty patients today.
Just one of our ordinary days, hot, plenty of flies and our ordinary routine when there
is no attack of importance. Received a letter from England also parcel of writing
paper and envelopes, also received news of torpedoing of "Southland" with portion
of Australian 6th Brigade on board, she got into Lemnos under own steam, but lost
some men, (reported slight loss) evidently through a little panic on board. Among
those lost was Brigadier General Linton who died after rescue. Had swim after
dinner. Few shells came over but no damage done. Off duty 7 p.m.

Saturday 4th September, 1915

Up 6 a.m. on parade 6.45 a.m. when orders were read out and on duty 7 a.m.
About 45 patients today a lot of our fellows are suffering from festering sores on
arms and legs, they get very bad, it has earned the name of Barkoo Rot here
although I don't know if it is the original disease, certainly they spread and are of a
very disagreeable nature to the sufferers. Heard of capture of an Austrian
submarine in Suvla bay right opposite our position, one of our boys who was at
Embros, saw it towed into harbour there two days ago. He says our ships have
captured six of them lately. A cruiser put few shells in Turks trenches this evening.
Could see them burst right in trenches. Off duty about 7.30 p.m.

Sunday 5th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade at 6.45 a.m. orders read out also little news of war.
Nineteen weeks today since the landing here. On duty 7 a.m. about forty-five
patients today. Ordinary routine today with the usual amount of shelling both from
Turks and by our own guns until 6 p.m. when cruiser, destroyer and two monitors put
a number of shells into a Turkish trench on a hill above us and which is quite visible
to us, the shells simply blew the trench to pieces, but enemy built it up again during
night. Went for swim this afternoon, rather heavy sea but enjoyable weather, very
hot. Off duty about 7.30 p.m.

Monday 6th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade 6.45 a.m. orders read out also information concerning a local
success on knoll 60 on our left. This success won by Connaught Rangers,
Australian 4th Infantry Brigade, some New Zealand rifles and I believe 10th
Australian Light Horse left knoll 60 in our hands and a complete gain of 400 square
acres of new territory. Fairly quiet during morning, few shells rather close about
dinner time. Another of our tent division sent away with Pneumonia today making
total 8 away and 6 of us left, one of whom is a reinforcement. Captain Dawson has
also been transferred to Headquarters as acting D.A.D.M.S. Have started today
assisting the dentist Captain Finn who is attached to our corps, still have my other
duties to do. Knocked off work about 8 p.m.

Tuesday 7th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade 6.45 a.m. orders read out also little news regarding some
Russian successes. On duty 7 a.m. About 45 patients today. After getting through
their breakfast and going round with doctor Captain Jeffries, I assisted Captain Finn
with his dental patients, 8 of them this morning, extractions and temporary fillings,
kept me going till dinner time. After dinner fixed up our patients and went for swim,
have to cross nearly mile of open country on way to beach and in full view of Turks
on hill 971. Sometimes they put shrapnel over if a number of men go over together,
it is too far to hit us with rifle bullet unless they are extremely lucky. Enemy
aeroplane flew over this evening. Off duty 7.30 p.m.

Wednesday 8th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade at 6.45 a.m. orders read out and on duty at hospital at 7 a.m.
About 45 patients today. During morning enemy put some big shells over us, some
burst within 200 yards of us, went over our heads, they were what we call Jack
Johnsons. Shortly after enemy aeroplane flew over but went away again very
quickly. Our planes were up during day making observations. Have slight headache
today. After dinner did little writing. Cruiser and a howitzer battery close to us put a
few shells into enemy's lines this evening, also cruiser a little further down coast and
a monitor put some shells on Achi-baba, could see them bursting, must have been
shells from their big guns by explosion and smoke. Off duty at 7 p.m. Was assisting
dentist this morning.

Thursday 9th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade at 6.45 a.m. orders read out and little news. On duty 7 a.m.
Shortly after breakfast enemy aeroplane flew over us at a great height and dropped
two bombs, one dropped about hundred yards from us and other on flat country
between us and sea, neither did any damage. Assisted the dentist for about an hour
this morning, took out few teeth. After dinner went for swim then asisted dentist till
about 5 p.m. Could see cruiser and observation balloon to south, cruiser evidently
shelling Achi-baba or its approaches, could not see shells landing. Things fairly
quiet on our front this last few days, just an occasional rally of rifle fire and few
shells. Off duty 7 p.m.

Friday 10th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade 6.45 a.m. orders read out and roll call, on duty at 7 a.m.
Forty-nine patients today, after breakfast assisted dentist for about an hour and
helped in hospital till dinner time, after dinner saw to patients then went for swim.
Not quite so hot today but flies still troublesome. Assisted dentist again for about
half an hour this afternoon. Light shower this evening so made my dugout
waterproof in case of rain during night. Off duty 7 p.m. Smart rally of rifle fire about
7.30 p.m. on our left, also our batteries fired a few rounds. I have heard today that
orders are out for us to be relieved for a spell at Lemnos.

Saturday 11th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade at 6.45 a.m. and on duty at 7 a.m. After breakfast went
round with doctor (Captain Welch) he discharged some and sent others to Lemnos,
altogether we got rid of 15 patients out of about 48, from 11 a.m. till 12.30 noon I
assisted the dentist to do some extractions and temporary fillings after which I had
dinner. Has been very quiet this afternoon assisted dentist from 4 p.m. till 5 p.m.
then had tea. About 6 p.m. a destroyer came close in and put few shells in enemy's
trenches, enemy replied, almost hitting destroyer. Cruiser put few shells in about
7.30 p.m. Has been a windy and dusty day far from pleasant. Is getting cold at
nights now. Off duty at 7 p.m.

Sunday 12th September, 1915

20 weeks since landing. Up at 6 a.m. on parade at 6.45 a.m. orders read out to
pack up and be ready to move as when final orders come only get 2 hours notice.
Think we are going away for rest. On duty 7 a.m. Packing up hospital equipment
ready for moving, all day, still have 20 patients so did not take tents down. Not
much firing all day until nearly 6 p.m. We had a church service at 6 p.m. I attended,
it was conducted by Padre from E. Anglican R.A.M.C, very nice service, all the time
an artillery duel was in progress between our ships and batteries and the Turks, we
were situated between the two lots of artillery and the shells were crossing over our
heads, lasted till about 7 p.m. Enemy's guns did no damage. Was talking to some
E. Anglican R.A.M.C men camped next to us, all privates, one was a minister, one
from Cambridge University and the other a graduate from Oxford, very decent
chaps. Turned in at 9 p.m.

Monday 13th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade 6.45 a.m. orders read out viz:- to finish packing, clear up and
to stand fast ready to leave any time though it was not expected we would leave till
tonight. After breakfast went round with doctor cleared all our patients but four, went
on packing up till dinner time. Just before dinner some order came and we were
ordered to stand fast for another 48 hours, just after dinner this order was cancelled
we did not know what we were to do so went for swim. At tea time no one seemed
to know what we were to do so we just stood by, till we were informed not moving
tonight so turned in about 8 p.m. Been very quiet day, few shells, nothing to speak
of. Rained sharply this morning for an hour but was lovely day afterwards.

Tuesday 14th September, 1915

Up at 6 a.m. on parade 6.45 a.m. No patients today, all cleared out. Took hospital
tent down this morning and cleaned up all round. At 2 p.m. we vacated our dugouts
and took our equipment down to the track below, so that the 7th Field Ambulance
which is relieving us could get into our position during afternoon. Sat down on our
kits on track all afternoon, was lovely day and not much firing. At 9 p.m. mule carts
came and we loaded our panniers and medical comfort cases and stores and sent
them ahead, then shouldered our packs and equipment and set out to Brighton pier
at Anzac, through sapps nearly all the way about three miles or little over. Arrived at
pier about 11 p.m. and sat down in gully to wait for our boat.

Wednesday 15th September, 1915

At 2 a.m. received orders to get aboard a lighter and we were towed out to a
transport the Osmanieh which was already full of troops who had been relieved.
Eventually got aboard and had to stand in alley-ways between cabins below. Got all
our panniers and stores aboard, then managed to curl up and get couple of hours
sleep on floor of alley-way. Ship did not get all stores on till 8.20 a.m., when we
moved out and arrived at Lemnos about 11.30 a.m. A river steamer the Waterwitch
came alongside and took off all troops except those to unload stores. I was left
behind to help unload our stores and panniers. Waterwitch alongside again about 8
p.m. when we put all stores aboard her and went alongside wharf.

Thursday 16th September, 1915

Slept on Waterwitch all night uncomfortable on a seat. Up at 5 a.m. and
commenced unloading on to wharf. Sent some of our men to canteen ashore to buy
something for breakfast, had nothing to eat hardly since leaving peninsular.
Finished unloading about 9 a.m. and left guard over stores, then set out for camp
about 2 miles inland, about half mile from camp had to cross swamp of nearly half
mile, almost up to waist in water in places. Reached camp about 10.30 a.m.. No
tents for us yet, rain poured down for an hour about midday, wet everything through,
managed to keep my bed dry. Met Stan Cohen of 5th Battalion after dinner, had
various fatigue duties to do and then gathered some bracken to sleep on, to keep off
wet ground. Turned in at 7 p.m.

Friday 17th September, 1915

Was awake most of night, wind blew a hurricane and as we were lying on flat open
country without tents or even shelter from any irregularity of ground, was hard job to
keep a blanket round us. Half numbed with cold got out of my blanket about 6.30
a.m., wind still blowing a gale. Had breakfast and set out at 8 a.m. for wharf to act
as guard on our stores there until they can be brought up to camp. Reached wharf
about 9 a.m. and at 9.30 a.m. 3 carts came, loaded them and sent them to camp.
Loaded 6 other wagons at intervals, finished and started back for camp about 3 p.m.
Had to cross swamp both ways. Lemnos harbour full of ships of all kinds, the
Aquitania, Englands largest liner is in as a hospital ship. Laid my bed out in open
and turned in about 7 p.m. absolutely dead beat.

Saturday 18th September, 1915

Slept well all night and woke about 6.30 a.m. First proper nights rest this week. Had
breakfast then had to go on wood fatigue, carting wood on stretchers for our cooks,
had to go to Army Service for it, about mile away. Also on water fatigue today, have
to bring water for cooks, for each meal, from well about mile away. Pleasant day
with regards to weather. Our camp is situated in a nice position in a valley
surrounded by hills, the land looks fertile and has been cultivated, round us dotted
amongst the hills are little villages, very quaint and old fashioned to look at, they are
inhabited by Greeks mostly, also windmills are scattered about for grinding the corn
they grow. Have not been in a village yet. Saw ship on fire in harbour today.

Sunday 19th September, 1915

Up about 7 a.m. this morning, beautiful day, very hot, still sleeping in open, no tents
yet. Put morning in on fatigue work round camp, went for swim just before dinner,
wrote couple of short letters after dinner and straightened up round camp. Received
some letters just before tea. After tea a couple of us went for walk over the hills,
walked for about 3 miles, came to a village and had a look round it. Very old type of
village everything of the crudest, the people seem pretty clean and are of a shy
nature not at all like the Egyptians, they seem very industrious, some of the children
are pretty youngsters, tried to buy some butter but could not get any, returned to
camp about 8 p.m. and turned in.

Monday 20th September, 1915

Up about 7 a.m. had breakfast, 2 eggs and bacon, enjoyed it fine. Had to attend the
sick parade this morning at 9 a.m. about a dozen men turned up between 9 a.m. and
11 a.m., mostly with the Barkoo sores which I fomented and dressed for them.
General leave was granted from 12 noon till 6.30 p.m. so I went for a walk to another
village about a mile and half away. A good number of our troops were looking
round, everything about the village was quite ancient. Watched an old man a
carpenter I suppose making ploughs of the old primitive type. A few shops were
selling goods, evidently opened since the troops came here and probably came from
Castro the chief town and port of the island and which I believe is only few miles
away. Returned to camp for tea and turned in about 7 p.m.

Tuesday 21st September, 1915

Reveille at 6 a.m. this morning and a parade at 7 a.m. with half an hours physical
exercise before breakfast. Our boys paraded again at 9.30 a.m. and marched off to
be inspected by General Godley who complimented the corps on its work while on
the peninsula. I missed this parade as I was on ration fatigue at 10.45 a.m. and had
to go with others to draw rations for the corps from Army Service Corps. During
afternoon had more fatigue duty getting our camp fixed up. Tried to write a letter but
was so windy had to give it up, have not got any tents yet. After tea took a walk to
5th Battalion lines and saw Stan Cohen, sat talking till about 8 o'clock when I went
back and turned in.

Wednesday 22nd September, 1915

Reveille at 6 a.m. and parade at 7 a.m. Physical exercise till 7.30 a.m. and then
breakfast. After breakfast had to go for water for cooks to well nearly mile away, got
back and did some pick and shovel work, digging drains and road making till 12
noon. After dinner made another trip for water then settled down and did my best to
write a letter, it was awfully windy and very chilly in the open. Had tea at 5 p.m. after
which another trip for water, two dixies each time and it is a good carry. Managed to
get through with my writing after getting back, then sat talking for an hour or so
before turning in. Awfully windy tonight.

Thursday 23rd September, 1915

Reveille at 6 a.m. on parade 7 a.m. physical exercise till 7.30 a.m. then breakfast
and a yarn till 10 a.m. when paraded again and were detailed off for more fatigue
work. Was on pick and shovel digging large drains round our camp till 12 noon,
fairly solid work, then went with party to Headquarters and brought back six bell tents
which were erected during the afternoon under difficulties as it was still blowing a
gale. Received a parcel today; muffler, mittens, handkerchiefs, etc. Nine of us were
allotted to each bell tent during afternoon, glad to get out of wind. Paraded at 6.30
p.m. for roll call, have to do this every night. Had yarn with boys in tent and turned in
about 9 p.m.

Friday 24th September, 1915

Reveille at 6 a.m. on parade at 7 a.m. physical exercise till 7.30 a.m. After breakfast
was on duty at sick parade at 9 a.m., was busy till about 11 a.m. Received a pipe
and tobacco this morning from Lady Hamiltons gifts. After dinner attended sick
parade again, plenty of foments to be done, after finishing which I settled down and
did some writing till tea time. After tea sick parade again and parade for roll call at
6.30 p.m after which I was finished for day. Weather still keeps windy and fairly
chilly, quite warm in our tent at night. We are here ostensibly for a rest but up to
present have had fair amount of fatigue work to do, still more to be done. Turned in
about 9 p.m.

Saturday 25th September, 1915

Reveille at 6.30 a.m. on parade 7 a.m roll call and physical exercise drill till 7.30 a.m.
Had breakfast, 2 eggs and bacon every morning now. At 10 a.m. paraded and put
on fatigue work, pick and shovel again digging drains and making roads. Kept at
these till 12 noon when dismissed.
After dinner started writing and kept at it till tea time. Weather still windy, but
moderated slightly. Some of the boys out of our camp went to Thermos about 6
miles away for a bath at the hot springs which are of volcanic origin. Also some
went to Castro, hope to go myself when get leave. Two hydroplanes flew over this
evening evidently being tested. Paraded at 6.30 p.m. for roll call and turned in about
9 p.m.

Sunday 26th September, 1915

Reveille at 6.30 a.m. on parade at 7 a.m. roll call and physical drill till 7.30 a.m. On
water fatigue today. Have to go three times for water, after breakfast, after dinner
and after tea, two dixies each time to be carried almost a mile. All men not on
special fatigue at liberty after breakfast till 6.30 p.m. No morning fatigue. Orders out
today that Castro is out of bounds and no passes to be issued. Also heard rumour
that Greece had declared war on the side of the Allies. Rather suprised no church
service provided for. Lay down and read all afternoon and after tea did my last trip
for the day for water. Talked together in tent till about 9 p.m when made our beds
and turned in.

Monday 27th September, 1915

Reveille at 6 a.m. and parade at 7 a.m. with physical drill till 7.30. Had breakfast, put
our beds out to air and paraded at 10 a.m. when we went for a route march under
Captain Jeffries (acting Adjutant) Marched to a village and Captain Jeffries
dismissed us for twenty minutes while we had a look round. Paraded when time
was up and marched back to camp in time for dinner. Had little read this afternoon
then had to go with party to headquarters for two hospital tents. This evening our
Brigade 4th held a concert in the open and entertained the New Zealand Regiments
and some Canadian Hospital staff. General Monash presided and we passed a
pleasant evening finishing and turning in at 9.30 p.m.

Tuesday 28th September, 1915

Reveille at 6.30 a.m. and on parade at 7 a.m. with physical drill till 7.30 a.m. Last
night General Monash anounced a British victory along 50 miles of the western front,
our troops still being very active, also the Russians have stemmed the German tide.
At 11 a.m. this morning had to go with party for rations after which I finshed for day.
This afternoon Captain Jeffries gave us a "soccer" football which had been sent to
him from Egypt so we had a good rough and tumble till tea time. After tea I went to
a concert held by the New Zealanders some good items were given also some fine
tributes were paid by the officers during their speeches to the men and the British

Wednesday 29th September, 1915

Reveille at 6.30 a.m. and on parade at 7 a.m. Physical drill till 7.30 a.m. then
breakfast. After breakfast four of us had leave for day so set out for Therma for hot
bath at the sulpher mineral spring baths. Were talking to two French officers who
overtook us on horseback and they asked us to sing Tipperary. Arrived at Therma
which is about 6 miles from our camp had our bath and had dinner. Bread,
tomatoes and an omelette. Then proceeded on to a large village about 1 1/2 miles
away. The male populace are very friendly but the females seem frightened and
keep right away from us. Had tea at this village, steak and an omelette, then set out
back for camp, arrived about 7 p.m. The country is very wild, almost treeless,
magnificent hills with lovely fertile valleys.

Thursday 30th September, 1915

Reveille at 6.30 a.m. and on parade at 7 a.m. Physical drill till 7.30 a.m. then
breakfast, had to go for couple of dixies of water as I am on water fatigue today. At
10 a.m. general assemebly for our corps and drill by the O.C. Major Meickle for 15
minutes and 15 minutes by the section officers, ours being Captain Welch. This drill
is ceremonial parade drill. Dismissed after this till dinner time. After dinner had to
go for two more dixies of water when I was finished till after tea so settled down and
did some writing till tea time. After tea did another trip for water and then played
football till dark. Made bed and turned in 9.30 p.m.